Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Role Reversal

My poor mother was sick with the stomach flu yesterday. She had to call my aunt to take her to the hospital where she learned that the lining in her stomach is partially eaten away from vomiting. She has to take pills to repair it, and the pain is tremendous for her.

So I went home and switched roles with my mother for the first time. I cleaned up her puke, rubbed her stomach and put her to bed, which she has done for me more times than I can count. I made sure she had water, I made sure my brothers and sisters were fed and I wrote a list of instructions for them to clean the kitchen after dinner. It's a humbling experience to have to take care of the woman who raised you.

It's also humbling to have to clean up puke. Not pretty.

It made me realize how much I'm like my mother. People would say I'm most like my father, but my mother taught me all the emotional staples in life like compassion, empathy and grace. It took me a long time to appreciate that she stayed at home to raise my siblings and me. I always thought not having a job was a weakness, but now I know that she gave up more than I will ever understand. All just to make sure we had someone at home when we got off the school bus to make sure we didn't get into trouble. I could tell her anything, and she respects all my decisions in life even if she doesn't approve. She lives for the four of us to become better people. And I say that molding four people into compassionate, empathetic and graceful individuals is a pretty amazing feat in life. Way more than I could imagine accomplishing in my time on this planet.

Not many people are so selfless to volunteer all hours of the day for more than thirty years as a role model for their kids.

6 comments:

~Kelly~ said...

It is challening to take on the chores and to show the compassion that your mother showed you as a child. And I think that if you were willing to do so, without a second thought, your mother did a damn good job at raising you. Being a mother is the hardest job in the world. Not everybody realizes this. You are constantly on call 24 hours a day. And when the times comes when I have children, I pray they turn out as well as you did.

Nitin said...

so how's ur mother now?..hope she is fine...ya that is true now until we were just a kid mom took care fo us but when we grown up now..we need to look at her whenever she need us
emotions are the part of life...i knew becoz i lived most of my life till now in hostels so i know the value of emotions...someone said "Emotions makes the life alive"...without emotions it is nothing...
and being a gal u always carry more emotions than guys n when someone u love in need then u ran to help them...so claps from me for u
bye

Miss.Emily said...

Thats so sweet Kel :)

And yes my mother is better now. She's still in pain, but she can function.

Miss.Emily said...

Kar! You actually put a tear in my eye, I love you! That was so sweet! I have changed SO much, and so have you. Sometimes it takes someone else noticing to really comprehend to what magnitude we all change in our time here.

I miss you, come over more :)

Anonymous said...

You write beautifully.

Anonymous said...

Yes it was a hard time for me. Nothing spells success more then alittle role reversal at yes, a very humbling time. Especially when you could tell me what I ate for dinner the night before!! Emmy, you made me so proud, and you made me blubber like an old fool when I read your blog. Yes I am loved too!! Sometimes you forget that when your working so hard taking care everyone else. I am very lucky, truly to have a most wonderful daughter as you, Love ya shmes xoxox Mom And feeling better.