Saturday, January 14, 2006

I Resolve (again)

A boy who went to my high school died in a car accident a few days ago. He was 23. I didn't really know him but my parents are good friends with his parents. I can't imagine being a mother or father to someone for 23 years, and just as they're coming into their own, just as you start to see them developing into an adult it's all over. All those years of molding this person into who they'll become, influencing their every motive and choice are suddenly shattered. In that one moment everything your life was focused on for so long is gone.

I've been in quite the depressing mood lately, and hearing about this boy's death really put things into perspective. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to make you stop bitching over the little things. I was driving my car that day too, but I'm still living and breathing. One of my new years resolutions was to stop obsessing over things I don't have, but that seems to be all I've been doing. So here it is, the official restating and rewriting of new years resolution #6...

I resolve to stop obsessing over things I don't have and to be grateful for all the things I do have.

Ok, now here I go.

2 comments:

~Kelly~ said...

I think that your resolution is a fantastic one. One that will help you appreciate everything you have and to start to be happy again!

powderslider said...

I love you. you are a good person.