Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Oh, the Nostalgia of it all

Every time I come back to my parents house I make it a ritual to go through all my childhood stuff. Not for any other purpose than to satiate my curiosity. I flip through old year books, read my journals and revel in the nostalgia of it all.

I had forgotten that I used to write a lot of poetry. Some of it was good, most of it awful and none of it am I going to post because it's all dreadfully embarrassing. Today I sorted through stacks of shuffled papers with prose scribbled on them, words I thought were so deep then and know they just make me laugh. I never wrote happy poetry either, it was all depressing stuff. And most of it was written after I had lost someone close to me, or after I was dumped.

So I was flipping through all these papers and found a stack of letters to myself. These letters I've written every three years since I was ten. On my birthday, I write to myself three years in the future. A time capsule of sorts recording my favourite outfits, my grades, boys I liked, advice for myself and what I thought I would be like when I opened up the letter. It's something I always looked forward to reading. It's humbling. Sometimes you forget what hopes you had for yourself in the future. Much of the information written I had forgotten about. Boys I hadn't thought about in years, outfits I wouldn't be seen in for a million, grades I will never see again (I was very studious in high school. Don't know what happened there.) These things were so important to me then. It's strange to think that I couldn't remember most of the things I wrote myself.

So does this mean that all the things I think are important now are going to be irrelevant three years down the road? Isn't that depressing. I suppose it's the whole lessons learned as you get older thing. Damned learning. It ruins everything we thought we knew.

2 comments:

Kiren said...

Yeah, I can see how it would be depressing. But you can also look at this way. It's inspiring to know that you're not this static being, never changing in a world that's changing incredibly fast. We're constantly adapting to new people and places and situations. And those past important things aren't necessarily irrelevant or haven't been discarded, but rather revised. I bet you can find some trace of your past self that's still very in you today. Who you were never completely disappears. It's like layers of sedimentary rock. Some layers get compressed a lot so they are very thin, hardly noticeable, others remain hard and thick and will always be there.

Or we're like Ogres, like onions. Not cakes. Onions.

Miss.Emily said...

Not cakes? But everyone likes parfait!