Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Sunny Days

What makes me miss summer the most are the sunny days. When the sun is out but it's too cold to feel it... sunshine is wasted on cold days like this. There's nothing like like lying in the hot sand and feeling the sun warm your skin. Mmmmm.

I have one regret about this summer. I didn't spend enough time at my cottage to keep me sane. I've come to realize that there is no other place that makes me as happy as that beach, that house, that exact location on the planet earth. I need to spend significant time there to maintain some level of sanity. I didn't do that this summer. Weekends were spent in Toronto, in Waterloo, in the city, drinking, partying, doing nothing. Why would I waste my time in the smog when I could be soaking in the warm rays on my beach? Regrets.

We have home videos of when I was 4, in my yellow bikini and pigtails running in and out of the lake with a blue plastic bucket. When I was 7, building a dam across the stream with our neighbours and squealing with excitement when it broke and a torrent of water came rushing at us. When I was 12, building sandcastles. Playing volleyball at 15. I can trace my life on that beach.

Summer is officially gone, and the sunshine is now wasted on cold and windy days. Time to change gears.

3 comments:

Miss.Emily said...

Dear Kelly;

Are you happy now? I know My blog wasn't about you, but I became inspired to write after you told me to. You have that power over me I guess... you are the only female friend I have that can turn me on.

-Em

Miss.Emily said...

Someone please tell me to stop writing comments on my own blog. It's tacky.

-Em

Anonymous said...

I am just that fricken amazing! Don't worry girl, I have the same pictures and videos of me running in and out of the water in Port.. But I think my bikini was pink and my bucket was green! I miss Bruce county, the water, the sun.. I just miss being a kid! But you know, you'll always be able to come play mom to my kids one day.. and you can experience the beaches and water of Bruce County through a child's eyes..