Monday, November 28, 2005

Baaaa.

The ignorance of some people astounds me. I guess living in our society doesn't exactly require the most free-thinking and analytical of minds. Maybe waking up blissful every morning is worth being herded with the rest of the sheep, but I'll never know. I left the flock a long time ago.

I attend one of the leading academic institutions in Ontario, yet I feel like a hippie in sheep's clothing. There's so much going on on the planet, I don't want to be suffocating in my little Laurier bubble anymore. Everyone is so preoccupied with grades and friends and beer that they forget why they're really here. To better themselves and explore the depths of their intelligence. I want to learn, to explore, to be passionate and to protest when there's an injustice. No one here cares that the U.S. is torturing prisoners of war. No one knows why the government criminalizes some actions and not others. No one reads the paper anymore. When did University life lose it's real-world intelligence? I cant talk to my friends about the ridiculousness of drug laws or other political issues that affect them because they don't know... or maybe they don't care. The real issues in life have lost their importance and the mundane, irrelevant issues have taken over. Cute outfit! Lets go drinking! Whats up with Nick and Jessica? Who gives a shit! What about the fact that Bush is racist? That he takes away civil liberties because of his personal beliefs? That listening to him speak kills brain cells?

Maybe we're too lazy to take action as North Americans because we live so comfortably. We're thinkers, not do-ers. We can say, "aww, that's a tragedy," but when asked to help we're too selfishly wrapped up in our own existence to do so. But what can we do? you ask. In the larger sense, I honestly don't know. At least acknowledge that you're a moronic sheep and try to break free from the herd. I don't like where we're being herded, and I'd rather take hold of my own destiny.

We need something to get us angry enough so we'll jump off our lazy-boy sofas and make change.

No comments: