Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Welcome to Miami

I'm baaaaack!

Such a great trip, as expected. And now that I'm so greatly relaxed and tanned and de-stressed I can go back to the world of essays and assignments and class (minus that last one. I never go anyways.) I'd enlighten you to the weight of my workload if I didn't think your brain would explode from the magnitude of it all, and implode from the monotony. That's right, you would implode and explode at the same time. It's that bad.

Let's get to the point.

The trip was fantastic. Miami is one of those places you'd think was specifically created for young people because of the crazy night life, yet there are so so many elderly living there. Our condo consisted of wrinkly old people, and us. That is all. And those dumb asses from Wisconsin, but I'll explain that later.

So this is our lovely condo at 5005 Colins Ave. There was a bus station right across the street which made it so easy for Lay and I to travel around and see the sights. We took the bus every day to Lincoln Road, to Bayside or South Beach. There was so much to see, and we actually managed to fit it all in within the small time frame we had.

So we left at 4am from my house for the airport in Toronto and didn't get in to Miami until about 2pm. We were so excited the night before that Lay and I only had an hour of sleep that night. Needless to say we were exhausted. Luckily it started raining before we could consider going to the beach, so we napped. For four hours. I know.

That night Lay's parents took us out for dinner at this great place on Lincoln road. This was the only time during our trip that either of us got carded, if you can believe that. And we were with her parents.

After dinner her parents left us and Lay and I walked along Lincoln road for a bit. There are a ton of little shops and cafe's, and we stopped at one for a cocktail. It was a little cigar bar, and here we met our pharmacist friends from New Orleans who wanted to take us skinny dipping. No, we didn't. Do you know me at all? I just made them think they had a chance until I got bored with them, and we left for home.

The next day was spent on the beach, and we burnt ourselves to little crisps. We took pictures of ourselves with our lovely burns, but those will remain in my private collection (because we look like cherry tomatoes. Not sexy.)

That night we went to Bayside to Bongo's which is a classy little Salsa club, and you all know salsaing is one of my passions. There's such a large Latin American culture in Miami. We met people from all over South America at this club. This guy in my picture was from Brazil, but unfortunately he had no idea how to dance. That's me yelling steps into his ear to try to get him to lead me properly.

After the bar we made friends with some homeless people on the bus. Luckily we are super friendly and Canadian, or I believe we'd have been raped and left for death that night. There were so many freaks on the bus, so many people asking for handouts just because of the way we were dressed. They assumed we had money to give away. We made friends with one homeless guy who warned us not to give money to people because they'd use it for crack. Oh, good. Did he know this because he was a crackhead? Hopefully. That would make the story way more interesting.

Here's some lovely scenery for your viewing pleasure. This was across the street from our condo. All the rich and famous park their yachts right by the highway so all the tourists will snap pictures and awe at how fabulous the boats are. Aren't they just fabulous?

We didn't end up going to the Ultra Music Fest after all. I'm not that upset, it would have been really expensive (almost $120 American when you take the whole day into account) and we just wanted to kick back, so we spent the day in South Beach instead. It was super busy because of a music conference that was going on over the course of two weeks or so, and we were catching the tail end of it. I liked South Beach, but it was where all the "beautiful" people spent their time. Lay and I were dressed quite nicely by normal standards, but I felt out of place because I wasn't wearing 8 inch heels and a Gucci bathing suit.

This was our view down the beach as we were tanning on Sunday at Miami beach. The entire coast is lined with hotels and condos and they stretch down for miles and miles. It makes you wonder what the beach looked liked before all the industrialization. There isn't much wildlife now, obviously. And I supposed everyone likes it better that way.

It was pretty quiet on the beach where we were. I thought there would be more people walking by with their stereo's and Dior sunglasses, but I guess our stretch of beach was more for condo owners than spring breakers. I'm glad, though. Lay and I relaxed in the quiet and the sun during the day and went out at night. It was the perfect combination of partying and relaxation for our vacation.

Here you go, as promised. Me in a bikini. Enjoy.

And Lay in the bubbly hot tub. Don't ask where the bubbles came from, I don't really wanna know...















This is my fav pic of Lay. She look about 12 years old with her pigtails and her cutesy towel, I love it.

We took so many bus pictures. There's nothing else to do when you're waiting to get where you're going. This one's my favourite though. This is us on our way to Bayside for dinner on Sunday. We were on the bus for two hours because the traffic was so bad.















After dinner at Bayside on Sunday, we crept over to another salsa club for some dancing. The minute we sat down, these two 40 year old men from Honduras (Abrahim and Carlos) bought us drinks. Abrahim was in love with Lay, and Carlos was loaded. He owned some satellite company that distributes to all of North America or something. They begged us to stay with them and told us they'd buy our drinks for the rest of the night, but it was getting a bit creepy so we left.

But this was Lay's first time salsaing, woo hoo! What a good sport. This guy was from Columbia, I think. I danced with him too, he was pretty good. But he was getting sorta fresh with me towards the end so I had to ditch him.

This is me and Lay after a pitcher of sangria and all those cocktails Carlos and Abrahim bought for us. We are really happy to say the least.

Being paparazzi-ed might have been the highlight of my trip. After the bar we slipped into a private VIP party and got our pictures taken by the paparazzi. Look out for us in Star Weekly as the new party girls on the scene. We celebrated by taking raunchy pictures on the beach of each other, which will also remain in my private collection.

Afterwards we met our stupid Wisconsin friends. Five 19 year olds staying in their parent's condo, and totally dumb. We told them a bunch of silly lies that started out as jokes, but they really believed us so we played along. We live in igloos and Canada doesn't have real cars. Tractors only. And I have 3 kids. Dumb dumb dumb.

This next picture is from our trip to South Beach on Monday. Some lovely classic Hollywood architecture. Gorgeous.



On our last night we headed to Lincoln road again and found a cute little Italian coffee pub. We ordered drinks and gelato (which of course I didn't eat because of lent. I'm such a good girl.)

The next morning we headed off to the airport at 7am. Blah, the end of our trip. But I am glad to be home, traveling is exhausting with the packing and unpacking. And I hate living out of a suitcase. But this trip was exactly what I needed. Just enough booze, just enough sleep and just enough sun to make me sane again. Holla.

6 comments:

Kiren said...

the bubbles usually occur when there is "too much" bacteria/dirt in the tub water. i.e., it was due for a water change out. i know you didn't want to know, but I'm into the truth and dispelling the knowledge you need to survive on this wacky planet.

Jay said...

That's such a kick-ass trip. Maybe one of these days I'll convince myself to go. Now when you walk around all tanned and stuff, all us pasty people will be jealous!

Miss.Emily said...

Ya, thanks for the info Jesus. I'm gonna go disinfect myself for the next couple of hours.

Kiren said...

My knowledge bombs are for the greater good of humanity. I'll make it up to you by agreeing with Miss Lilac in that you are a cutie.

powderslider said...

You really did a good job on the post. I am going to have to learn how to put pictures in mine. Looks like you had fun down there in the fish bowl. Nice to have the beach for a bit before our summer eh? I love you Em! Dad xoxoxox

Buffy said...

So envious.

I'm just about ready to trade my bag collection for a week in the sun.

And I dont even like sun!

I just hate cold.