Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ode to Alayna

This picture was taken on one of the best nights this past summer by far. Alayna and I got silly drunk at the bar, flirted with boys until it closed and came home hungry. We raided my fridge where we found a mountain of watermelon, and proceeded to take about 20 pictures of ourselves in the kitchen with the watermelon. Yes, there was a watermelon in every picture. You can tell how inebriated I am as I clearly can't hold the camera straight.



So I met Alayna this past summer when she hired me to work for her. That's right, I'm a year older than her and worked underneath her. I never thought of her as my boss, I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, but she was always super fun and up for a good time. No matter what she always had a positive attitude and for May and June we pretty much spent every weekday together. And by that I mean from 8:30am to 11:00pm. Those were some long work days, but she made them fun. After the two month stint working for her, I got another job but still hung out with her all the time. She was my saviour this summer. There weren't many people I knew who stayed in the city, so anytime I was lonely I'd give her a ring and we'd go get ice cream or go to the bar for beer and wings.

She is still my saviour, now. Anytime I need to get out the house or need a break from reality she's there to rescue me. I always look forward to our dinner dates because it's a break from the monotonous. We make a point to always go somewhere different for food. We've experienced Thai, Chinese, Korean, Egyptian, Indian and Taiwanese food together to name a few. It's so refreshing to dress nice and go out just for a few hours to chat and catch up. We always have good times together. She's so down to earth which makes her easy to get along with and she's hilarious. Sometimes she'll say something so funny when you're not expecting it and leave you in stitches. I love this girl.

A couple months ago, Alayna messaged me and asked if I want to go to Miami with her. All I had to pay for was the flight, she said, because her parents have a time share in a condo right on the beach. We can spend the weekend shopping, tanning, dancing and forgetting about reality all together. I'm not usually one to spontaneously agree to something like this, but how could I say no? And now we've planned our vacation, bought our tickets and are counting down the days (only 16 to go! And a detailed post with pictures to follow.) We are going to have the best time together, because we're both such laid-back beach bums. I can't imagine someone I'd rather go away with, and I'm so thankful she invited me. Without this vacation in the back of my mind, I would surely be going insane by now. I'm beyond excited!

You deserve this ode my dear, thanks for being totally awesome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily you are adorable, that was too sweet.

I too enjoy our dinners out, and cant freakin' wait until Miami either!

Youve been a wicked friend, and this whole laurier experience would not be the same without ya.

Heres to the good times (more to come im sure!)

Thanks girl, ur a star.

Anonymous said...

have a good trip!!!
what you can go to florida and you can't visit me on my birthday??? No worries, lots of love

Anonymous said...

I want an Ode!

who am i?

Miss.Emily said...

Could it be Braden, the only person who leaves anonymous comments on my blog??

Prove to me that you deserve one ;)

Jay said...

Wow, that's really exciting. Everyone needs a friend with a time share! However, she sounds like a hoot with or without it. Have fun, I'll be jealous.