Monday, October 31, 2005

An Unforgettable Night

A really great night, the unforgettable kind, is never planned. It has to be one of those nights you expect will be spent in your sweatpants watching reruns of CSI. If you try to plan a great night, it usually ends up being the kind where all your plans fall through and you wallow in self-pity about how your friends are unreliable and life sucks. A truly memorable night is the kind that has you saying to your friends months later, "Remember that one night when (insert crazy random happening here) happened? That was CRAZY!" I had one of those nights last night...

I was planning to go out with my friends Saturday night after my shift ended, but all of them ended up bailing saying they wouldn't wait for me and I couldn't get into any bars that late anyways. So for the rest of my shift I was cranky and thinking only about reheating that spinach dip for a snack when I got home. Just when I was getting depressed about my pathetic life, my friends came to visit me falling all over themselves drunk and dressed for the bar saying, "Emily, I looove you!!! Come to the bar!" After they left, me promising to meet them there, my roommates came (looking hotter than ever) to visit me too. They were going to wait for my shift to end so they could take me home, dress me, feed me shots then take me out. Then, right before I was about to leave my best friend calls saying she got all of us on guest list at the busiest bar in town and that we should leave now before it closes.

At this point in the the story I would like to say that I have the best and most thoughtful friends in the world. Yes, they are better than your friends so don't bother arguing.

Anyways, after being fed countless polar bear shots by my girlfriends we ended up at the bar with the angry-looking bouncer telling us the guest list was full, he was sorry (I knew he really wasn't.) We headed to the next bar where the line was too long and we were too drunk, so we finally ended up going to the "semi-empty but we were didn't really care at this point" bar. After being chased by a scary looking guy with a skeleton mask and a permanent marker all night we left for home. There was some nudity, more drinks, and incriminating photos before we ended up in bed. That is, everyone ended up in my bed. I think at one point there were eight people in my double which is barely big enough for two people most of the time. Don't ask how this happened, I don't remember. Regardless, we all slept together cuddling and spooning and talking and holding hands. The eight people slowly dwindled to six, to five, to three then around 6am I finally had the bed to myself (to my dismay.)

Regardless, this whole long story has two morals. The first being that you can't plan a great night, It just has to happen. It has to be improvised, adjusted and sometimes made up as you go along. The second is that you need to have fantastic, thoughtful and loving friends. A great night starts with the people you're with.

And I couldn't be surrounded by better people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

EMILY!!

We're the lucky ones! To have a friend/Roomate like you makes it all worth while! Don't you worry girl! Polar Bear shots and a night out dancing with you can cure all exam worries!
Your my Dancing Queen!
Love you!
Kelly