Saturday, June 03, 2006

Hold a Little Grace

Whatever happened to taking things in stride? No one seems to deal with their problems with any sort of grace or dignity anymore, or maybe they never did. But I always thought that being able to control our basic emotions, at least to some degree, is one of the things that separates humans from the rest of the mammals on earth who roam around biting and spitting on each other all day.

Hypothetical question: you get dumped. What do you do?

a) Get drunk, swear off men/women and throw curse words at your friends when they try to comfort you.

b) Spread a rumour that he has a small penis/she has chlamydia and hope that no one will ever love them again. They deserve to be alone forever, after all.

c) Brush your shoulders off and embrace the fact that it was a blessing things didn't work out. No one wants to be with someone who doesn't want to be with them.

Could it be more obvious? Apparently not and although anyone reading this would say c), I don't know a single person who has actually applied it in this situation. You got dumped. Ya it hurts, but it's a good thing it happened now instead of realizing on your wedding day that he/she's not "the one." This is dating. This is the world. Shit happens, and shit will happen to you but the only thing you can do is take a deep breath and move on to the next one.

Now that that's off my chest, I have a few other things to say...

1) I hate girls. I love being one, but sometimes I'm ashamed to be associated with them and all their fucking antics.

2) Loud music and mono do not mix. Insta-headache.

3) Being cooped up for almost 3 weeks with no booze and nothing to do during the day has turned me a little kooky. When I was at my cottage I actually thought I was hearing voices. Turns out my refrigerator sounds a lot like a burglar from the next room.

4) Popsicles are good, but real fruit juice popsicles are better.

5) The last thing I want to do when I'm sick is cook. I've lost 5 pounds from sheer laziness. And here I thought you gained weight from being lazy.

That is all for now my kittens. Ciao.

3 comments:

Kiren said...

This is how it goes for most of us when we get dumped. First night, option a). Wake up the next morning with the worst hangover of our lives and blame it on the ex. For the next week or so, we employ option b). Then when we finally realize that our friends are tired of listening to us make fun of said person for small penis/the clap, we come to our senses and fall back on option c). It's a natural cycle. It's science.

Anonymous said...

To play devil's advocate (as usual)... breakups suck, and sometimes people need to bitch and think bad things about the other person, because it makes them feel good. And in that instant, its often exactly what people need. People in general cannot be satisfied, and consequently they bitch. Therefore when they are dumped, they will naturally bitch more. The same way people naturally bitch more when they, say, have mono, for example. It sucks being ill, and sucks being dumped. In both cases, there is a license to bitch. Stuff sucks, vent away. And if there is no one else to bitch to, about whatever, just call me, i actually dont mind listening to it, because whether you agree or disagree, as a friend its just what you do.

PS wanna come to the movies tonight? were seeing the breakup. how fitting for your blog.

telephone moi.

From alayna, who loves to disagree.

Jay said...

Mono made me fall in love with my husband. I really can't even begin to say how I would react to a breakup - it's been forever.

However, Grace has never been my middle name.