Sunday, November 12, 2006

I am SO Rational

Ok, so I'm in psychology which means I should be able to distinguish true psychologies from pseudo-psychologies like for example, astrology or those dumb-ass personality tests they have all over the internet that end up telling you nice things about yourself so you say, "Oh! That stuff is all true! I'm a cool person, and this personality test is so freaky and right!" However, the catch is that even though I can spot that pseudo-psychology shit from a mile away, I use it anyways. I take those personality tests all the time and I check my horoscope even though I know it wont make a difference anyways.

So I had the most vivid dream last night where I had some broccoli in the fridge that I forgot about for a couple weeks, but I decided I'd eat it anyways. So it was all slimy and stuff, and I was chopping it and I look down and it was covered in baby turtles. There were at least fifty of these teeny-tiny turtles crawling all over the counter and in the broccoli and they were under my shirt too, crawling around. It turns out a turtle had somehow laid it's eggs inside my broccoli and they had hatched while it was rotting in the fridge. So this dream had me so worked up and I wanted to remember it so in the middle of the night I got up and wrote "turtles" on my white board in big, sleepy letters.

Being the bright, young psychology student that I am, I don't believe that dreams have any profound meaning. I don't think they represent your repressed thoughts surfacing or your underlying desires rising up from your unconscious. In fact, I believe they are random combinations of neurons firing during REM sleep and often times we dream about things that happened that day or that week simply because those are the newest neuron connections in your brain. I actually do have broccoli in the fridge that will go bad very soon, so I had a "rotting broccoli" neural connection firing in my dream last night. Because I am so sensible and scientific and rational, I obviously did not look up the meaning of turtles in a dream dictionary:

To see turtles in your dream, suggests that you will make slow but steady progress. You need to slow down and pace yourself. Alternatively, it indicates that you are sheltering yourself from the realities of life.

This analysis is so general, it could apply to anyone's life. That's the beauty of this sort of thing. The people who write these interpretations make them seem specific but really if anyone thought hard enough they would think, "Oh, they're right I should slow down and pace myself in my life. I need to face reality." Good thing I'm rational and can see through the veil of this pseudo-psychoanalysis!

Next post: How I shelter myself from the realities in my life.

3 comments:

YourSecretLover said...

Turtles eh? That is one messed up dream girl!

Yah, I'm supposed to be scientific and rational and all the crap...but I still check my horoscope. And I believe I am a true Cancer. lol. It's ok to do stuff like that and then sort of believe it.

But turtles is messed up....might want to throw that broccoli out.

MsPatricia said...

I must say, that's a pretty random dream!
All of us are irrational. But who cares? I love checking my horroscope periodically. I love knowing that I am a true Scorpio. I love dreaming and hoping and wishing. It's what makes me me.

Ryan said...

if I were you, i'd make a note in a calender when i had this dream, and check out next month if there are any parallel themes. there's been very little research concerning dream content and women's menstral cycles but dreams of eggs would peak MY interest! also check out Bill Domhoff's work in regards to quantative results of dream content - he makes a good case that dream imagery is not "random" regardless of what the pons is doing down below.