Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Merci Beaucoup

In the spirit of the holiday I will do as Canadians do at this time of the year and recognize all the things I should be thankful for on a regular basis. Of course, a lot of the things on my list tend to be neglected as far as thanks go, but that's what this holiday is for. The recognition that I'm a selfish jerk. Right?

1) My mom. She's the shit. She's always the first person I call when I'm stressed or upset, so she's also the one person who has to bear the weight of my bad moods and rantings. And no matter how many times I swear at her, snap at her and tell her the most horrible things I've done, she still sticks around. I thought she'd have disowned me by now, but that's unconditional love for ya. It never ever goes away and as long as we're both alive, we'll have each other.

2) My mom's cooking. I have only three words; green bean casserole.

3) My roommates. Although we're all diverse and each trying to find our own way through University and life, we work. Like a well-oiled machine. No one can deny the chemistry we have living together in our warm, snuggled apartment, and even though we've had our differences there's some peace knowing that we all love each other.

4) My dog. She's not going to be around much longer, but we're buds and I love every minute I get to spend with her.

5) My bronze Sketchers. I adore you.

6) My education. I think it's safe to say I slack off quite a bit, but I find my field of study fascinating and I'm grateful that I've found something I love and could do forever.

7) My mind. I still have a lot to learn and I'm glad I can acknowledge that fact. Life is a process, and everyday I acquire new knowledge and become a better person. I'm open-minded and and very appreciative for that.

8) My health. I am so very lucky in this department. No glasses, braces, broken bones, illnesses or deficits of any kind to date (knock on wood.) Just watch, tomorrow I'll end up falling down the stairs and breaking my face.

Thanksgiving may be my favourite holiday. No obligations about gifts and deadlines. Do I buy for friend A and not friend B? No stress. No dress up. Just family and food. Reflecting on the fact that we're lucky to have each other and a hot plate of delicious turkey, mashed potatoes and of course, green bean casserole.

5 comments:

YourSecretLover said...

Thanks for the blog so I could procrastinate more!!! It's funny how we all bitch about the same stuff, yet in the end it's the stuff that we're all thankful for. Such as school, our parents, etc. You must really love those bronze sketchers...it's the second time you've mentioned them.

MsPatricia said...

wow, you must really like those bronze sketchers.

~Kelly~ said...

We are like a well-oiled machine.. extra on the oil!
They don't call us the sex house for nothing!

I think you forgot to mention something here.. Ron..

powderslider said...

You never mentioned me...the dog got number 4...what the hell? Love dad

Miss.Emily said...

9) My dad. We are so much alike that we clash, but I like it. He challenges my opinions and sharpens my mind. He's also one of the only people in this world that complements me in a way that I know is completely genuine. When he says something nice, I know it must be true.

He's also the only member of my family that actively reads and comments on my blogs.