Friday, September 15, 2006

I've returned home with brown skin and a fresh perspective.

Having such a large number of amazing experiences in such a short period of time changes a person. I feel different now. Especially when I first got back from my trip, I realized that the lens through which I viewed the world had changed. Everything seems a bit more focused now, everything is a bit clearer. Both the good and bad things, but I suppose a clear line of sight is beneficial either way.

Now that I'm back, I am forced to complete the last year of my undergrad. This raises a number of issues;

1) I don't know where my life is going.

2) I don't know where I want my life to go.

In eight months I will be a twenty-two year old university graduate, an adult. Shouldn't a person have at least some idea about where they want to be in eight months? I'm too overwhelmed with the very idea of graduation to even start researching grad schools, and even if I wanted to I wouldn't know where to begin. I haven't a clue what I want to study. A number of things have crossed my mind including (but not limited to) law school, getting a masters, sex therapy, clinical psychology, child psychology and bus driving (considering I have the most experience with that last one from the safari, it seems the most viable at this point.) Even sitting here writing this I'm biting my nails and getting more and more frustrated at the very thought of having to make up my mind on the matter.

Grrr.

The moral of the story folks, is this: Things have never been so clear and so fuzzy simultaneously. Which leaves me in a very confusing place. I've grown from my trip but am still waiting to become a grown up.

3 comments:

YourSecretLover said...

It's ok! I feel overwhelmed by Grad School as well! where did the last three years go again?

powderslider said...

I still don't know what I want to do with my life. Its much more important to know who you are anyway. Love ya dad

YourSecretLover said...

wow! I just want to say that I am so honoured and touched that I now have a link to my blog from this site!!! I love your blogs Emily, they always make me think and see things from another perspective! Keep up the good work my sexy little friend.